Sunday 26 June 2011

Rationality and the Unknown

A while back I was stirred to write a poem after hearing atheists like Christopher Hitchens a lot in the media. It's more a response to the tone of arrogance in their views, rather than to their views per se, though I think the subject of death would present a pretty stiff emotional challenge to a staunch atheist.

A Militant Atheist on His Death Bed

When they speak at my grave
they will say that I died
in a reasonable manner

They will say I was disciplined in dying
as in the fullness of life,
demanding answers and proofs.

The candle flame by my bed
was fed by oxygen,
not the draught of superstition.

Among them there will be no voodoo
of the imagination.
They will say I went into the void
in a reasonable manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment