Sunday 30 October 2011

The Ordinary Life - A Poem

Oh Great Ordinariness

You who kindles the sun's rays
and lets the day be day
and night to follow

Oh Great Ordinariness

You who lets the children down the ladder of sleep
and wakes them in the morning
You who keep my feet warm in winter
and allow my body to do what it needs
You who make the bread rise
and the baby squirm in its parcel of skin
You who move mountains one millimetre every 300 years
who sends the millions to work
and brings them home
You who drops words in my mouth
and silence when required
who lifts me up
and lets me sink into my dark unease
You who tumbles empires
and gives birth to prophets

Oh Great Ordinariness

How I've known you
as I count the days
as I watch the lichen on my neighbour's wall
as I watch the smile of my sleeping lover
as I feel your soft grip in every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment